Thursday, August 28, 2008

Something New

I've been experimenting with new dinner recipes lately. They are usually things I find in a cookbook or magazine and then modify based on what I actually have. I've gotten to where I don't measure ingredients so much (who really wants to dirty up the teaspoons anyway?), so sometimes the meals taste a little different. Here's one I tried last night (I adapted it from a recipe I found in Real Simple):

Tortellini with Squash and Peppers

olive oil
squash and/or zucchini, chopped
red and green bell peppers, chopped
salt and pepper
4 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 lb. frozen or fresh cheese tortellini (this will feed about 3 people)
1 tsp. parsley (I used dried, so use more if you are using fresh)
1/2 cup mozzarella
frozen meatballs or meat of your choice

>Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped up squash, zucchini and bell peppers, meatballs, salt and pepper (to taste). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies begin to soften, 6-8 mins.

>Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and continue cooking, stirring, for another minute.

>Add the broth and tortellini. Cover and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the tortellini are cooked through and most of the broth is absorbed, 12-15 mins.

>Fold in the parsley and half of the cheese. Spoon into bowls and top with remaining cheese.

Today, I am going to make more beerocks. They are so yummy! It's takes a little time to make them (mostly waiting for the dough to rise), but once you're done you have homemade lunches for a couple of weeks!
I have to mention--Finn was a holy terror last night because he skipped his nap, but he's making up for it today. I've been trying to let him play more by himself and do things for himself since I won't be as available soon. He spent a lot of the morning in his room reading to himself. So cute! He just goes through his books and "reads" them outloud. It's amazing how quick he memorizes them! I found him reading one today that we just got at the library yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. That recipe sounds good! Isn't it amazing just how much they learn in so little time! If only I was still learning at that pace!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...