Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Everybody's Doing It

I'm so excited about this post! It's the time of year when everyone is organizing, and I've gotten some great inspiration from all the blog-hopping I've been doing (and I have the carpel tunnel to prove it!). It seemed like the right time to revamp my calendar station.

Okay, "calendar station" is laying it on a little thick. My "calendar station" really just consisted of this:


Pretty pathetic, huh?

Now it looks like this:


I'm not really a fan of reproduction 40's-looking fabrics, but I fell in love with Punctuation by Moda. These message boards are made of an old board game box that I just hot glued the fabric too. Then I made the rosette's out of old cds and glued on some cork board from Wal-mart, too.

In fact, I like the fabric so much, I whipped up some matching tea towels! (My exact words to hubby about them: "These kinda took me awhile to make so please don't wipe down the counters or clean up urine with them or anything. They're sort of just decorative.")


My magnet board is a tin sign that was on clearance from Hobby Lobby. I just covered it with scrapbook paper!

And I've seen some really cute shelves around blogland. I bought this one unfinished from Michaels and stained it myself. Then I cut out an initial for each family member. I love that it's hung low so the kids can actually reach it and (hopefully) hang up their coats.

And it wouldn't be complete without a new calendar, right? This is hung on the adjacent wall. I added vinyl to a picture frame I had hanging around and I'm so happy it turned out well!


I color-coded each person's activities. Since my kid's fav colors sometimes change, I used fill-in circles so we can change them if need be:

And that's it! I also made a new file folder, inspired by A Bowl Full of Lemons, but mine isn't nearly as cool as hers, so you should really just click on over there to check it out.

Has anybody else been organizing?

Linking up to these great parties.

15 comments:

  1. such a cute calendar! I love it! I want one now, but don't have that much stuff yet. Good luck with it, let us know how it goes. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your calendar, too. I wish I had thought of adding a place for notes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh we need that for the vault! haha. Really crafy Liz!!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I love organizing. Its so much easier to get stuff done when your foundation is just neat....you know? Great job. I love your decorative tea towel.

    <3, New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH!!! I LOVE THIS!!! SO great! Thanks for your sweet comment on my post too! If you try it out I would LOVE to see!!! :)

    BTW did you know your a noreply comment blogger?? if you didn't and don't want to be go here! http://houseofsmiths.blogspot.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-let-me-reply-to-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks lovely. Love that the kitchen towels match. You thought every small detail.

    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. stopping by from Tatertots. I love this idea but am terrified my kids would erase vital information :) Love this time of year and all the great organizing ideas out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks fabulous! Thanks for stopping by and linking up! Don't forget to come by Wednesday! I have a really fabulous giveaway coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love the fabric and how you did it all! (Using as old game box is ingenious!) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabric you chose, and also that you used a clearance tin to make your message board! Nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, I've been organizing too! Emily @ domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too cute!! I love the fabric!! And the calendar!! Love it all!!!

    Hugs ~~ Suz inspriringcreativeness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks great. You did some really neat things. Love the magnetic board.... and the calendar! So did you outline the calendar with tape? or paint?
    I would love for you to come over and link it up to my Organizing Mission Monday link party.
    Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Liz - Great ideas for the space. I adore the calendar - the color coding idea is fabulous! Thanks so much for linking up to The Sunday showcase party - I have featured this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for linking up to Tute {Yourself} Tuesday last week! I hope you'll stop by again this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...