Sunday, May 9, 2010

Finn's Quilt Block Tutorial

I feel like I haven't been able to work on Finn's quilt very much, what with making Mother's Day gifts and tending to children (who have been off and on kinda sick). But I wanted to share what I am making for Finn. His quilt is going to be twin-bed sized and I am making it using these blocks:What you will will need for one block is:

(1) 13 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangle print fabric

(4) 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" squares of the same print

(2) 6 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles of solid color fabric

(2) 2 1/2" x 13 1/2" rectangles of solid color fabric



Once again I assembled them in strips first. I pinned two 2 1/2" squares to one 13 1/2" strip, one at each end (make sure that the squares are going the same direction as the 13 1/2" x 6 1/2" large print rectangle).

Do the same for the bottom strip and squares.

Pin one 6 1/2" strip to each side of the large print block. After you sew make sure to press before and after opening. I pressed all seams toward the prints.Same for the large block. Press toward the print. You want to match up your corners next before you sew all the strips together (this is a picture of another block print--not sure how that got in here, but you get the idea):


Pin and sew:

And there you go! I probably put way too many pictures in here for something that is truely incredibly simple. Finished blocks are about 17" x 10". I'll post a new picture soon to show how they will be arranged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...