Thursday, April 15, 2010

Pretty Flower Dress Repurpose

McKinley has this great dress that a friend of mine gave her. Unfortunately, it's been looking a little short on her lately (she is in the 88th percentile for height). It's got such an amazing pattern that I knew I wasn't ready to give it up just yet. So, I decided to give it new life! I bought a cheap little pink onesie and found a super cute felt flower in my scrapbooking stash: Close-up of the cutie-pie flower:

I started by cutting off the top of the dress and sewing it at waist height on the onesie. However, working with the cotton jersey knits that usually make up t-shirts and onesies is hard. There was quite a bit of bunching:
But that is what they make ruffles for! Ruffles are the perfect boo-boo cover for girl's clothes. I hand-stiched a little hot pink ruffle over that bunchy stitch line and fixed it right up. When my grandmother passed away ten years ago, I inherited 6 boxes of embroidery floss from her. I can't tell you how great it is to have such a vast array of colors on hand when I need them. Thanks Mamow!
Have I completely forgotten about my son while I complete all these girly projects I've been working on, you ask? Well, he's getting crafty himself! I let him paint a birdhouse to hang out back. It kept him busy:
Finally, the finished product! I blanket-stitched the little flower on the front (It's actually a scrapbook embellishment, which means it has a sticky back. Kinda gross to sew with, really. I think in the future I will try to peel the icky stick off first). Now Kiki just needs to wake up so I can see it on her!





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...