Saturday, April 24, 2010

Kiki's Quilt Block Tutorial

I don't usually write tutorials because most of what I have done so far has been lifted from a tutorial. But this time, I've created something a bit more organic. No doubt there are other quilt blocks like this one, in fact I was inspired by Oh, Fransson!'s Scrappy Hedgerow Blocks, but I didn't want mine to be that big or have that many rows, so I had to tweak it myself. This involves a little bit of math and I was kinda proud that I figured it out. If you want to check out the finished product, scroll to the bottom first.
I started with a Hunky Dory Layer Cake. It gave me a lot of fabric to play with. I want this to be a busy quilt, so I was glad to find something with a lot of prints.
For this block, you need to cut:

(1) 3.5" x 3.5" square
(1) 3.5" x 1.5" strip
(2) 4.5" x 1.5" strips
(1) 5.5" x 1.5" strip
(1) 5.5" x 2" strip
(2) 7" x 2" strips
(1)8.5" x 2" strip

I am making 12 blocks, so I just cut everything at once. Personally, I think fresh-cut fabric is akin to a rose garden: Since I am making 12 blocks, I laid out each one beforehand to make sure none of my fabrics repeated themselves. I chose to make the 3.5" squares all one pattern, all of the inner strips are pink and yellow prints, and all of the outer strips are blue, green and grey prints.


Then I pinned each block's fabrics together so that I could keep them straight. As a mom, I anticipated that this might help me grab one and sew when I found the chance. Also, I enjoy menial labor:


I started by sewing one 3.5" x 1.5" strip to the right of my inner 3.5" square:

I press after every strip. I found that pressing the seams toward the center of the block was easier for me, but it probably doesn't matter much on this block.
Next I added a 4.5" x 1.5" strip to the bottom:


Then another 4.5" x 1.5" strip to the left:

Next a 5.5" x 1.5" strip to the top:

Then it was time to start on the outer strips. Sew a 5.5" x 2" strip to the right:

Then a 7" x 2" strip to the bottom:

Another 7" x 2" strip to the left:

And finally a 8.5" x 2" strip to the top:

And then you have a finished 8 1/2" block! Okay, I'm pretty bad about making my seams too big (I have a scant 1/4" foot, but I still go over), so my block is more like 8 1/4", but I figure it doesn't matter much since I will probably make all 12 the same way.

My plan is to turn these diagonal and sew 3 across the top and 4 along the side (with 8.5" squares of fabric between and on the sides) for a roughly 3' x 4' quilt for my daughter. I'll show you along the way, but for now, I have some more blocks to sew!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Love the fabric, and I can't wait to see the finished product :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...