Sunday, August 14, 2011

Bug Birthday Party

(Banner is from A to Zebra Celebrations)

Today was my [not-so] baby boy's 5th birthday. Five has never seemed like such a big number before!

But I won't spend this whole post moping about how old he is...

Let's talk about the party!

The kids dined on "bug food":

We had Honey Bits (Bit O'Honey), Bug Bites (gummy worms and bugs), Ants on a Log (Pretzel sticks dipped in chocolate with sprinkles) and Beetle Bugs (m&ms):

Dragon Snaps (Cheetos) and Worm Holes (Donuts):

Roly Polies (pigs in a blanket), Lady Bugs (cookies), Dirt Cups (Chocolate cupcakes with crushed Oreos) and Bug Juice (juice boxes):


I made the cone-holder out of a cake box. I cut out holes with an Exacto knife on the top of the box, then wrapped the whole thing in green crepe paper. The cones were made of scrapbook paper:


I found a great tip on Pinterest--for a custom look, take the wrapper off water bottles and wrap in a coordinating duct tape. Waterproof!

I also made white cupcakes with colored icing that formed a caterpillar (another Pinterest find):

I hate trying to organize 20 children into a party game, so we just let them play in the water out back:


But we did have a pinata (Finn really wanted the donkey-not really bug themed, but...):

For favors, I found bug kits at the Dollar Tree. I wrapped them in simple paper bags and used my Silhouette to write and cut "Thank you" bugs:

He was clearly overwhelmed, but in a good way! Finn is still zoned out from the party (and the birthday party we attended yesterday...and the wedding we went to last night...It's been a busy weekend).


Happy Birthday to my big boy!

Linking up here.

15 comments:

  1. fun party. You food table was beautiful!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this party idea! So cute!

    I'd love for you to share it on my "Crafts for Under Twenty Somethings" Thursday blog hop. Also, all party themes that are lined up are included in an ongoing Themed Party directory on my blog, so feel free to link up as many ideas as you want!! Hope to see you Thursday!


    Melanie

    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!

    Jenny
    http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You used so many cute ideas--looks like a really fun party! Bet your little guy was thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great party!! Well done - I love the theme and all the extra effort you went to without buying ready made stuff! God love Pinterest!
    I bet the birthday boy had a fabulous day!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  7. This party is so cute! You are really creative with the food (worm holes!) Love it! I hope you will link this up to my Delights Me party at Doodles & Doilies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun theme for a five-year old! I love how you used bug things with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm visiting from Tip Junkie. This party looks like it was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the party theme! All the different food ideas are so creative. I'm sure your son LOVED it!

    Evanne @ http://simplyfabulous-evanne.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the banners you made, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute family you have! I love this theme. Your food ideas were so creative too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very creative! Love it! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sure cute party! I featured it here:
    http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/2011/08/check-this-out_20.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...