Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summer Reading

Not only do I love to read, but I'm finding it's incredibly good for my mental state. A couple of chapters before bed clears out my mind and prepares me for sleep. And sleep makes me happy :)

The problem is picking books. I almost always have the kids with me when we go to the library, which makes it really difficult to blindly pick out books to read. I love it when people give me suggestions, because then I can just go online, reserve it, and pick it up quickly at the library. I'm not really in the market for a Kindle or a Nook since this FREE system is working so well for me.

So, if you're looking for some good summer reads, here's my picks:

Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery (Chet and Bernie Mysteries)

Dog On It by Spencer Quinn. This was a suggestion by Stephen King in Entertainment Weekly last month. It's a mystery told from the Private Investigator's dog's point of view. I really liked it and I'm on to the next in the series.

Smokin' Seventeen: A Stephanie Plum Novel

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovitch. I haven't read this yet, but I've got it on reserve at the library. I just love the Stephanie Plum series. Light reading at it's best. If you haven't heard of it before, start with One for the Money.

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Anytime I hear that Hollywood is making a book into a movie, I run out and get a copy to read before it's made. If you like to read, no doubt you've heard of this. GO GET IT. It rocks.

The Catcher in the Rye

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. None of my teachers ever made me read this in high school. I ran out of reserves, so I picked this up at the library instead. Honestly, there isn't much of a story, so I can't really give a synopsis, but it's just a quick, engrossing read about teenage angst.

One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original)

One Day by David Nicholls. Another soon-to-be-movie. After reading this book, I emailed the author with my thoughts on the ending. He actually replied! Go get it.

Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II
Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff. Haven't read this yet, but it's getting great reviews. I'll have to put it on my reserve list. I think it's about some people who get lost in the Himalayas in World War II.


Matched

Matched by Ally Condie. This is a Young Adult read that is really much more mature than you would think. I thought the characters where a little thin, but the story really made me think about freedom in our society. I can't wait for the next one!

Alright, I'll stop here. Let me know if you've got any good suggestions. I'm always looking for a good read.

Plus, I'm going to be out for a week or two. I'm headed to the beach!

Happy Reading!





1 comment:

  1. I love to read & haven't read any of these, so thanks for the suggestions!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...